Monday, November 15, 2010

Because I like to be random

I can't say that I have too many interesting things to tell all of you but I will do my best to come up with some semi-interesting reading material for the blog world out there!

One very funny story from school that I have to share with you - I don't have a picture of it because I didn't want to embarrass the student but it was pretty cute/funny. The fifth grade classes had been working on classifying animals (amphibians, reptiles, birds, etc..) and one particular class made wall-size posters with all of the different types of animals and it was each child's responsibility to bring in a few pictures that they had colored of animals to post under each category. Well, one student brought in a picture that resembled something like this....

Ok - I hope this is going to make sense to you all. So this is a Chameleon. However, if read in a Spanish accent, it almost appears as if it says "cama" and "leon." Those two words translate into English as "bed" and "lion." So this particular child brought in a picture of a chameleon with the title being "Bed Lion." Hahaha I about died laughing once I understood what had happened (it took the teacher and I a couple of minutes to put it all together). I had that same class today and there is a label taped over the old one that says, "chameleon." :-)

And I must have spoken too soon with the whole "I don't have anything interesting to say thing" because after I wrote the story above, I went to go blow dry my hair because I had just recently showered and well, something happened. I must start off by saying that I did not bring my big blow dryer all the way from home. My plan was to buy one here like I did when I was in Spain two years ago. Lucky for me, while I was staying for a week with my host family, my host mom offered to give me a small blow dryer that she never uses so that I didn't have to buy one. I graciously accepted it and figured I could buy a new one later on, if needed. Well, let me tell you - it is one devil of a little machine.

The fan part on the opposite side that blows out air, sucks in air and I had flipped my head over to dry my hair and this is the result when I flipped my head back up......
Yes, that is the blow dryer stuck in my hair.

I had to ask my roommate Tad to come in and help me get it out. After laughing at my misfortune and requesting to take a picutre, he saw no other way of remedying the problem than to use.....SCISSORS!!!! ahhhhhhh in all of my 24 years of living, I don't think I have ever had to cut anything out of my hair! I now have a nice little short piece of hair as a prize (luckliy it's one of the bottom layers!)
I also have this as a reminder of how deadly this little blow dryer can be.


More random things....I went out for tapas with some teachers after a meeting we had last week and this is one that my teacher ordered.
It's called "Chorizo al infierno" or chorizo of hell.

So what happens is the waiter brings over a small dish of alcohol and lights it on fire and it is your responsibility to roast your own piece of chorizo (just like a marshmallow!) I was obviously highly entertained by this and requested my picture to be taken with the tapa (even though I do not like chorizo!)


Two more interesting things and then I am done being random - I was in Granada for a couple of days this past weekend and was excited to see the leaves are changing on the trees!


And at the same time, there's tons of snow on the Sierra Nevada's!


Love to all from Motril!!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow! That yellow tree looks like a Gingko biloba http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba
And, I have caught my hair in the hair dryer many times . It always sucks it into a knot like that.

Dawn said...

Oh, and my brother introduced us to chorizo many years ago. I still don't like it.