Sunday, June 15, 2008

Night in the Pueblo = )

So I have to fill everyone in on my night in the pueblo of Iznalloz (small town where Paco was born and where they still have a house) with Paco and Pilar. I have been to the pueblo with them twice before and this time we went to have coffee with the two other couples that they always go on vacation with. Firstly, as we were headed up the winding road to the mountain where the one couple lives, Paco ran over a snake that was slithering across the road. After it happened, I peered over my shoulder out the back windshield to see it squirming and suffering. We all laughed and continued on. When we got to the house, which was mid-mountain and placed all alone, I was taken away by the amazing views of the city below and of the other mountains. I can understand now why people have houses in the pueblo and in Granada in the city. I met all of the couples and they were very nice. We had coffee and cookies together and then the owner of the house asked if I wanted to see the goats. So he gave me plastic booties to put over my shoes and off we went to see the goats. He is an old man and has a think Andalucian accent, dropping pretty much every "s" that he possibly can and so I understood about half of what he said. Nevertheless, we went to the barn and there must have been over a hundred goats walking around. It didn't smell as horrible as I thought it would. I was even able to hold a baby goat that was born yesterday!! It was soooo cute. Then we continued on to see the chickens, a hen that was sitting on its eggs, sheep, a peacock, and all of the equipment they use for collecting milk from the goats. He was quite proud to show me all of these things and I was happy to be part of the tour. He also had a room full of ham legs that were curing (called serrano ham and is considered a delicacy in Spain). There were so many things to see on their piece of property. After my tour, we all sat around outside and talked. Meanwhile, the sun was setting over the mountains and the view was spectacular. I can't put into words how beautiful the night was. We finally left around 9:45pm and headed back to Granada. I hate to say it but on the windy mountain roads back to the pueblo and eventually to the highway, we encountered the poor snake we had trampled with the car earlier on in the night and indeed, he was dead. As much as I don't like snakes, I also don't like seeing them dead in the middle of the road either.
It was a very fun night - the two other couples besides Paco and Pilar are so nice and made me feel right at home (even though I was the only kid there). I hope I can come back to the pueblo at least one more time before I leave Granada in 9 days!! ahhh it hardly seems possible.
Until next time,
Emily

No comments: