Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Getting to Prague

(FYI – this blog entry was written during the excruciating amount of time that I spent in the airport in Malaga)

Well, it sure has been an interesting time getting to Prague. I decided to fly out of Malaga, Spain (1 ½ hours from Granada) instead of the Granada airport (since it is so small and lacks flight options). So, here’s where it gets a little complicated……My flight out of Malaga was scheduled for 10am on Friday morning. However, the earliest bus from Granada to Malaga leaves at 7am and arrives at the Malaga bus station at 8:45am – which did not leave me enough time to get to the airport and check-in. Instead, I took the latest bus on Thursday night and arrived in Malaga at 11pm. Luckily, I caught the last bus to the airport and arrived around 12am. Needless to say, I arrived in plenty of time for my flight (10 hrs is early enough, right?) I had good intentions of sleeping for at least part of the night in the airport, gripping very tightly to my things, of course (all because I was too cheap to pay for a hostel and really just wanted to prove to myself that I am a tough girl and can sleep in an airport if I need to). Much to my dismay, I passed the entire night wide awake – my mind not letting me drift off to sleep. I walked around a lot – half attempting to exhaust myself and half attempting to find a comfortable place to catch a few zzz’s. I got my hopes up for a while at about 5:30 am. There was an earlier flight leaving for Paris (my 6 hour lay-over site). So I decided to check into the possibility of changing my flight from 10am to 7am (more time to leave the airport in Paris and explore). After checking in at the counter, I was told I had to go to the AirFrance ticket office to make any changes in my ticket. Well, I went there only to find out the office didn’t open until 9am. Unfortunately, I had no such luck changing my flight and was left to wait for about 3 ½ hours longer in the airport. My only saving grace for the entire night/morning was that I met a very nice family from Georgia and sort of made friends with them for the remainder of my wait in the Malaga airport. Finally, around 10am, I was off and en route to Prague. The rest of my travel day was long but well worth it when I finally made it to Paris and saw cousin Sarah waiting in the airport for my arrival.

No comments: