Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Master's News

So, as I told you all before, I was accepted into a program at the University of Granada to do a Masters in the Teaching and Learning of the Spanish Language and Culture. I found out at the beginning of the month and had to make my decision as to whether I would participate in the program or not. Initially, I was very excited for this opportunity and had even told people that I was almost 90% sure it was something that I was going to do. However, after spending some quality time making a list of pros and cons and truly being honest with myself, I have decided not to do the Masters. It was not an easy decision but in the end, it just doesn't feel like the right thing to do. My list of cons slightly outweighed the pros. One of the biggest things that swayed me from doing the program is that I am not entirely sure that teaching is what I want to do with my life and do not want to spend time and money on something that will not be of worth to me in the long run. It's true though - when I was young, one of my favorite birthday gifts was a box full of school supplies (my dad worked for a printing company that also sold office supplies and it was like a dream come true when he came home with that gift for me). I had my own lunch tickets, stapler, tape dispenser (which to this day still has a label that says "tap") and many other goodies. I had the best class of pretend students who were always eager to learn. I've been teaching since a very young age. When I studied abroad in 2008, I even contacted someone in the School of Education department about switching my major. People have told me that they think I would make a great teacher. One of my biggest role models and the reason why I have a passion for the Spanish language is because of my high school Spanish teacher, Pat Peters (she has since passed away from cancer and to this day I would give anything to be able to sit down and tell her how much of an inspiration she is to me). She was one of the best teachers had such a passion for what she did and made learning a foreign language an enjoyable adventure for me. If I were to become a teacher, I would want to be just like her.
However, I also had another dream that crept into my life as I grew older and that was to be a doctor/work in the medical field. When I was applying for college, I didn't really know what I wanted to study (like most 17/18 yr old kids). My cousin's husband suggested that I look into Kinesiology programs. It seemed like the perfect answer as it was a mix of two things I love - sports and science. I fell in love with the class I took related to exercise and nutrition - especially after my grandpa passed away when I was in high school from a sudden heart attack when he was 75. I just couldn't fathom how such an active, seemingly healthy person could just be gone one day. From that point on, I have developed such a passion for nutrition and also with passing my knowledge onto other people (I know that sometimes my friends and family roll their eyes at me as I read every label and feel compelled to tell people all about the dangers of trans fats just at the point when they go to put that donut in their mouth - but it's really for their own good :-) I also was blessed with the opportunity to work at U of M hospital for 4 1/2 years while I was in college. My uncle passed away from multiple meyeloma when I was a senior in high school. My family spent a lot of time with the doctors of the Hematology/Oncology division at U of M and they did everything they could to make my uncle's life the best it could possibly be during his treatment. I was fortunate enough to get a job in this same department my freshman year of college and was able to meet and interact with all of his doctors. I am so grateful for them and am impressed by the passion that they have for the work that they do. It's not easy and they do it with such grace and poise. So, the point I am trying to get at here is that I have this degree in Movement Science and there are many options of things that I could do with it - many requiring Grad school. However, I am willing to look into these options and pursue my dream of working in the medical field (maybe not so much an MD at this point but possibly nursing, orthotics and prosthesis, dietitian etc...) I earned this degree at U of M and don't just want it to go to waste.
With that said, I am still in Spain and am not sure that I have completely rid myself of the desire to live here after this year. I am considering reapplying for the job that I currently have, coming home for the summer and then returning to Spain in the fall for another year. After that, we will see what life brings. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions - please feel free to share! haha

1 comment:

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing. I know this has been a tough decision, Em. We have faith that you will find your calling!
BTW, Uncle Dick bought you all the teaching supplies for Christmas. It was your favorite gift!! I wanted to remind you of that. :)