Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I went to Great Britain!

Well, apparently it's just a day full of blogging - this will be my third post today! However, I wanted to keep the post about the monkeys separate from the rest of the pictures from Gibraltar. So here's the real story - not just seeing monkeys.

We had a long weekend this week because of a national holiday in Andalucia - it's ironically called the Day of Andalucia :-) Michael Lynn went to Cork, Ireland for the weekend so Tad and I did a little trip to Algeciras to see his family again. Of course, the first thing on our agenda was to play with Tad's 6-year-old cousin Daniel. He is absolutely adorable and loves to practice his English with us.
Here we are being goofy together (well, this is the good picture but there are other goofy ones that will not be posted!!)

He wanted me to take a picture of him with his venus fly trap so that all of my friends could see it!

We hit the hay early so that we could be up to beat the lines to go to GIBRALTAR! I had tried going there a few years ago when our good family friends visited but I didn't have my passport and they will NOT let you in without a passport (even with 4 other forms of identification). We beat the rush and were in by 9:15am.
Here's the rock from the drive (recognize this from anywhere? Prudential maybe?)

Our plan was to take the cable car up and walk our way back down. Good idea - walking up would have been torture.
Here is a view from the cable car.

It was an absolutely beautiful day and the blue of the water and the sky were perfect! I will post some pics from our walk on the rock.
Here is the sun rising - I love it!

From the top lookout point when you get off the cable car

That's Africa - no biggie

Pretty pics


Tad and me at the top of the rock

Pretty view

British flag (with my possible next adventure in the background.....CRUISE!!!!!)

We had lunch downtown at a place called "The Angry Friar" - also had some English beer.

Then Tad ordered more food than a person needed for an entire day - and he ate it ALL!

We drove around to the backside of the rock and there was a cute light house

And a mosque

And here is a picture of the rock looking up from the only beach on gibraltar

Add the entertaining monkeys and it was an overall great day! So weird to be just across the border from Spain but to hear lots of English!! It was a treat!
Love from Spain!

No comments: